Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Be a Fantastic Parent #5

5. Get Kids Moving. The latest research shows that brain development in young children may be linked to their activity level. Place your baby on her tummy several times a day, let your toddler walk instead of ride in her stroller, and create opportunities for your older child to get plenty of exercise.

Being super pregnant, this one gets tough for me! Buggy loves to run... L.O.V.E.S. And I think that may even be an understatement. So going places and allowing him to walk really means that I will be ditching my cart/stroller/friends to chase him. Because he thinks he's a big kid and doesn't need to hold hands or ask permission to go to the petstore.

But, what I do think is ultimately the important thing is that he gets that energy out in a very productive manner... and right now, as the weather heats up, that means lots of Splash Pads, Play Zones, and Park Playdates! The first two keep his attention so he doesn't go running off... but is able to be active and not stimulated by technology... and the last one helps to build his coordination, and normally is open enough that even my waddling self doesn't feel like I need to run after him before a mall patrol man on a Segway runs him over.

I know it's getting a little toasty here already (April, and we already are in the 90s and 100s every day) but finding places that are shady, wet, and free are always on my list of Things To Do! Hopefully, I'll see you out there with your kiddos, too!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin