Thursday, June 12, 2008

Wilton: Course 1, Class 2

Anyone who knows me knows that I love to bake. I am mostly self taught... I love to read everything on the internet or in a book... and then test out my skills. I have done buttercream transfers, fun basketweaves, fancy stuff and fun stuff. Some of my claims to fame are Barbie cakes with real Barbies in it (none of those doll pick things) and a few classic transfers like a Chino cake! :oP

So, I was thinking it would be awesome if I could teach classes at the local craft store. I called up Wilton, and they told me that it didn't matter if I knew how to do the techniques... I have to take and pass all 4 of their classes! I am sure that it's just for profit... but whatever.

Anyway... I am getting started... and this past Tuesday was Course 1, Class 2. I didn't tell you about Class 1 because it wasn't interesting... just how to make frosting and putting it onto the cake. Boring, in my opinion... but Class 2 was much more fun.

Before I went to the class, I had to do a lot of work. I had to make 2 batches of frosting (one to frost, one to decorate) and color it. I also had to bake a cake and frost it smoothly. It wasn't too bad... but then I had to pack it all up to take to my class, as well as a bath towel, an apron, and all my tools.

The instructor went over how to make the beginning of the Wilton Rose, and we practiced writing and piping little balls. Then we got to actually decorate the cake. It was a rainbow cake... and I took a cue from another blogger and decided to write something cleaver... but then I remember that I had to take pictures of the cakes to send to Wilton with my instructor application and that the cake was going to be headed into work with Dustin the next day... so writing "Celebrate Diversity" was out...

Here's the final product...

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin