Friday, April 18, 2008

What I do all day...

Today was a Friday... and Friday's are days that I meet with my Breastfeeding Mom's Support Group. Normally, we meet at the hospital, with a lactation consultant who provides us with a topic for discussion. I love this group... and I honestly believe that without this group, I never would have made it as far as I have with nursing Ryan(but I'll save that for another day).

Well, we found out a couple weeks ago that we weren't going to be able to meet at the hospital this week because our normal meeting room had fallen through due to a scheduling glitch. The LC suggested a park day... but due to the 90+ degree days we had been having, I offered up my living room as a place for our babies to get to know each other as much as babies actually do... and for us mom's to catch up.

In preparation for this... I cleaned my house... big time! I even bought a steam cleaner to do the carpets... and to make a long story not so long... 10 am (our meeting time) came and went, without anyone arriving. However, about 10:15, my good friend Mia showed up with her baby... and then 2 other ladies showed up at 10:30... one complaining about bad directions while the other gushed about great directions, go figure.

Well, we sat there and played with our babies... when one mom turned to me and said "What do you do all day?" I thought for a second... did she not see my sparkling clean house? My well behaved dogs playing in the backyard? She must have missed that I have a 5 month old this entire time... but alas, the question was still unanswered...

"I hang out."

It was honest... and in all actuality, it was kind of sad. I mean, please tell me that I know I do more than 'hang out'?? I wanted to say everything that I was thinking... but at the same time, I was trying to figure out why I needed to justify what I do... I have a huge job, nay, career, called 'Being a Mom'. Although it doesn't seem like much to some, I am shaping a tiny little man into a great gentleman. He is going to be the guy that a girl is happy to bring home to meet her parents. He's going to make his community proud by doing things to contribute... and things that are actually worthwhile. I am teaching him how to converse on topics that he has yet to imagine are important. I am showing him compassion everytime I hold him when he is sad. I can see his love for animals every time he laughs when the dogs lick his little face. I can even tell he is going to have his mother's love for food... reaching for everything in site... and expressing his love or disdain with his ever expressive eyebrows. I am molding him into who he is going to be... and it's not always easy.

"That's it?" she asked.

"Yep... for now."

1 comment:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin